Thursday, July 30, 2009

Oh, Alice!



You can ask anyone in my family, or anyone that has ever lived with me for that matter, but they will all tell you that I am not a girl that likes to clean. My mother used to threaten to ground me because my room was always such a mess. She then had to start checking my closet because I would start throwing it all in there! Don't get me wrong, I'm not nasty or anything. I just don't enjoy cleaning or tidying up. I used to watch tv shows all the time when I was younger and they always had maids. I always said, "I'm going to have to have a maid if my house is ever going to be clean." Well, Justin being the man he is, bought me one. No people, not a person. He bought me a maid The Jetson's style. He got me an iRobot. Here she is.




I named her Alice. So now, when I go and turn her on and she starts cleaning my disgusting carpet, I say "Oh, Alice!" If you don't know what I'm referring to then you need to go back to childhood between the ages of 8-10. It's the Brady Bunch people! Alice....the maid...duh! Well, that's what I named her. She just goes all through my house and cleans away! I suggest that if anyone has extra money to spend on one, go get one! They are completely worth it. I always thought that my standard vacuum cleaner was doing just fine but it wasn't! This thing has sucked up more of MY hair than I ever even knew I had. I mean, I could seriously make a wig or crochet a blanket with all of that hair. It's insane. So, I love Alice.
Other than Alice, I haven't really had that much of a week. I took the Praxis Saturday and well let's just say I felt like I had just gotten kicked off of an episode of "Are You Smarther than a 5th Grader?" It's not that the test was just downright hard, but I will say it was ridiculous. It was a lot of random facts. I mean, who knew what a book called "Silent Spring" written by Robin Somebody in the 60's was about? I sure didn't. I'm glad that I guessed feminism because that was right. Had I not been the procrastination queen that I am and have developed multiple choice question skills, I wouldn't have gotten it. But, in Alabama you only have to make a 137 to pass. I'm sure I did, but I'm dying to find out! The waiting is the hardest part...(love that song.)
I also made a special dinner tonight. Homemade lasagna! Yum! Delish! Don't worry, you know I'm going to post the recipe. I wouldn't leave you guys hanging like that. I figured it was the least I could do since Justin bought me Alice, a vacation, and everything else. But, I will leave you all with the recipe and step by step instructions. I can't help it. It's the teacher in me! At least I know I picked the right profession!

Well people, I'm done with this. I'm tired. I worked this morning, had a wonderful treat to lunch at Hokkaido with my Aunt Missy and she gave me a manicure. I'm a pretty lucky girl I guess you could say! Goodnight everyone and I hope you have a great weekend!
********************************************************************************
Homemade Lasagna

Brought to you by the bored, no make-up wearing college student who likes cooking and taking pictures of the meals and having all of you try them and tell me how good you liked them too!



The ingredients list. (I did not notice that all of my supplies are Publix brand until I took the picture. The sausage is the only thing and that's because it was on sale for cheaper than the Publix price.)



You will need:
1lb hamburger meat
1/2 roll of breakfast sausage (I use hot)
2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I'm indecisive so I picked 2 different kinds)
1 bag of mozzarella cheese (8oz)
1 bag of six blend italian cheese (8oz)
1 container ricotta cheese (15 or 16oz)
1 box lasagna noodles
1 egg
1 Tbsp italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 and start boiling lasagna. I only used 8 noodles.
Brown the hamburger meat and that sausage in the same pan




After you have browned the meat and drained the meat, add the sauces.
I add about 3/4 of each jar.
Let this simmer while the noodles are boiling and the oven is preheating.
Meanwhile, while all of the other things are doing their thing, start making the ricotta mixture.
Dump the ricotta cheese and one beaten egg into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle in the italian seasoning
and mix together.


The mixture should look like this.



By this time, your noodles should be ready. I only boil mine for about 10 minutes. Don't over do
it! You will have mushy gooshy lasagna that is no good!

To assemble the lasagna:
Layer lasagna noodles in the bottom of your pan.


Next, spread the ricotta cheese mixture.


Then sprinkle a handful of mozzarella and a handful of the italian blend.




Next, layer half of the meat.




Then repeat the process. You should only have 2 layers.


After you have placed the last layer (meat), then top with the rest of the cheese.




Pop it in the oven on 350 for 25 minutes.



Once it is out, convince yourself to go do something other than eat. It needs to sit for 5-10 minutes so you can cut a pretty square. Even though mine are not pretty.





Try it this weekend! It's so easy to make, and much better than spending a fortune at Olive Garden. You also have a TON leftover so you can have it for lunch the next day and you don't have to tip. Although, tips are always welcome in this house!

2 comments:

  1. omg i took the praxis too..im too scared about it..mines the english language cont knowl one..but i failed it once..so wish me luck! ugh..i looove alice! does she clean hardwood floors too??? oh and looove when you post your recipies!!! ;) gonna try it this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to get one of those vacuum cleaners, although I've never been sure it was worth the money. Now that I know it is, I guess we'll see...

    And I love lasagna but have never been brave enough to make it myself. Maybe its time for me to start! Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Say Something!