Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Life!

I always get asked, "Why don't you ever call me anymore?" Or, "Where have you been? I haven't seen you in months!" Well guys, this is where I am! I am always doing something for school or work or a classroom. It's really overwhelming at times so no, I don't just pick up the phone to chit chat with people that I used to talk to on a daily basis. I mean, I hardly have enough time for my boyfriend and dog!

To some, my life may seem boring, stressful, or hectic...but to me... I love it! I wouldn't have it any other way. I have a cousin, Megan, and she is a nurse. I mean, bless anyone's soul who will go through nursing school and be a nurse. I used to want to be a nurse. Then I realized that it was a disgusting job and I hate the hours that you have to work and it's just draining. I saw where she was clearly getting tired of working her job and other nurses were also saying how miserable they were and that got me thinking that my life isn't as bad as I think it is. I mean, yes I have bookoos of stuff due every day and plenty of non-sense work to do but really, I'm doing this because I love the career I have chosen to do for the rest of my life! I cannot imagine dreading waking up to get ready to go to work. Why yes, every job has its bad day, but my job has plenty more good days than bad.

For example, there are some kids that I have taught that have been just straight up brats! These kids have more than I do and probably ever will. They do not respect you as a teacher and do not care what kind of activity you have planned for them because they have probably already done something like it at home and had more fun. But, then there are the kids that show up to school so happy to be there because this is their only meal of the day or because this is the only place they have air conditioning or heat. These are the kids that come to school because I, as a teacher, am all they have! These kids love me with all of their hearts and I love them too! They appreciate it when you get up there and teach to them. They really appreciate it when you bring them a fun activity to do with your lesson. These kids are why I will never hate my job and never dread going to work. These kids need me.

So, no longer will I gripe and complain about my life because honestly, I think I have made the best career choice for myself! No, teachers don't get paid well and no, teachers are not respected but I'm not doing it for money and I am most definitely not doing it to please other adults. I am doing it for my students. For the students I have this semester, the students I will have next semester, the students I had a year ago, and the students I will have ten years from now.

Well, this turned into a strange post. I never really get my feelings out like that but I'm glad I did. My basic message is this, if you hate your job and career you have chosen, don't just stick with it because that's the easy way, do what YOU want to do! My family about laid out a brick house when I told them I was not going to be a nurse and that I was coming to the University of Alabama to be a teacher. You have to do what's best for you and if you do that, you will always be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something!